Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Heart Full...

My heart has been heavy for some time now with burdens and thoughts that I cannot ignore. They are quite persistent. So, here I am. There is no better way to do this than to just let it spill out.

I am a Christian. I believe the Bible is truth. I believe in one God who created the heavens and the earth. I believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and He died on a cross for me. A sinner. A sinner saved only by grace. I do not always understand everything the Bible has to say, and I don't suppose I ever will this side of heaven. But that doesn't mean I won't try.

I will make mistakes. I do make mistakes. Every day. I have to say I'm sorry. I have to admit I am wrong. I have to ask for forgiveness over and over again. And that's okay, because I know I am loved and forgiven. Forgiven by a God who knows me better than I know myself.

I confessed my issue with anger and rage to someone I trust recently, and it was so freeing. I felt like it was this dark cloud hanging over me ready to shoot lightning down on my head at any second. I don't think I purposely hid it from everyone around me, but I certainly wasn't preaching it from the pulpit either. Sure there were times where I would tell a friend about my temper, but the usual response was just laughter and a shrug. "You're too sweet to have a temper," or "Not you," they would would say.

The ones closest to me knew it all too well, though. Kevin, my boys, my family. They knew know the real me. The short-tempered person who has trouble controlling her rage sometimes. There is no excuse for this unbecoming behavior. It is my sinful nature in this fallen world, and it must be put to death. Which is why on that particular Sunday morning I decided to confess my sin to a fellow believer. I was not judged or scolded, but prayed with and gently guided to scriptures that would help me on my path to righteousness.

The freedom I found in sharing my very personal struggle got me thinking about how many times we as believers miss out on a blessing (or deliverance, or freedom, or healing, or forgiveness, etc.) because we are too stubborn (or prideful, or ashamed, or bitter, etc.) to confess our sins one to another. I'm not talking about telling me everything you've ever done or sharing every sin and wrong choice with the world. But what if...

WHAT IF you let your confession become your testimony?
What if you took the time to share your story and in the process helped someone else find the courage to share theirs, too? What if the testimony you gave of how God saved you from a sinful life and set you free by the power of His blood led another sinner to faith in Christ? What if?

Please do not go out to the street corner and confess your sins to the world just because you read this blog post. I'm not pushing for that. I'm only urging you to pray and listen for what the Holy Spirit might be leading you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment